I’ve tried out some blackwork. I did long complicated graphings in excel, involving sin, cos and tan, and transformations by 72 degrees, in order to devise a pattern for manuka.
Here are my first two attempts:
and here’s the image I’ve based them on, from that link in the previous post:
The first attempt is on the left. I tried counting it, but the fabric was too fine and did my head in, so then I drew it on with a washable pen and worked it freehand. It’s pretty and recognisably manuka, but not quite the look I’m after.
The second is on the right. I found some wider weave linen and counted it. I think it’s not bad for a first attempt (so long as noone looks at the back) but it took … too long, and I could only do it during daylight hours or I ended up squinting and giving myself headaches.
So for my next trick, I’ll be seeing what’s possible with the limited range of embroidery stitches on my sewing machine.